That’s right people, I am at home on vacation soaking in the hours of sleeping in, masha’Allah (which I have discovered, sadly is only an hour or two past my normal waking hour for work. But at least I can catch up with all that nice trashy daytime television).
Discoveries I have made so far, which yes, involved shopping thanks to a generous donation from a friend to cheer me up, alhumdulillah, just in case you think I wasn’t being thrifty in my purchases, which I am! Until I’m given a green sum to spoil myself with after years of like not, masha’Allah:
1. Used Wii Video Games. That’s right people, and a Lightsaber for $4.99! Ohhhhh yeah!!! Pac-Man Party, Epic Mickey, Star Wars Clone Wars, Transformers Dark-of-the-Moon, Need for Speed Pro Street, Game Party 3 (I miss playing pool, and yes I ordered the cue from DX.com. And steering wheel. Ah, man, I just realized I forgot to order the golf club. Sheesh), and Punch-Out!! Woooo!!! Biggest win was Lightsaber at a discount. Oh yeah… and all the games for $14.99! Wooo! I haven’t touched my Wii in months, partly because I’m too lazy to fitnessize myself. Okay. Entirely because of that. Time for some funnnnnnnnnn… Insha’Allah.
2. The smell of a fresh jigsaw puzzle. Eurographics, Ricardi, Cobble Hill, and another company I can’t remember being the top ones. I’m pretty excited to do Van Gogh’s Irises as I was completing Cobble Hill’s Awash but got stuck on the sky part):
3. Davids Teas: oh yes, 30 pouches of flavours, just ain’t enough. And my winners are, my lovelies:
1. Organic Eyptian Chamomile
2. Coffee Pu’erh
3. Three Lemon Green (Organic)
4. Genmaicha (LOVE YOU!)
5. Chocolate Chili Chai (sooooo goood)
6. Pumpkin Chai
7. Organic Green Seduction
9. Fired Up Fennel
10. Organic Strawberry White
11. Chocolate Rocket
12. Honey Bee
13. Pom Power (oh boy is this thing powerful)
14. Golden Pu’erh (organic)
15. La La Lemon (organic)
16. Long Life Oolong
17. Vanilla Oolong (it’s been too long!)
18. Cherry Potion (you cast a spell over me, you do!)
19. Cream of Earl Grey (organic)
20. Cranberry Pear
21. Forever Nuts (nuts for you I am!)
22. Midsummer Night’s Dream
23. Happy Kombucha
24. Honeybush Lemon Ginger (organic)
25. Amaretto (I think I’m in love)
26. Organic Sweet Dreams
27. Chai Guarana
28. Kenyan Tinderet
29. Earl Grey
20. The Glow (my new love!)
4. Corel Painter 12: let’s just say that Painter and I have some geniousity to draw up, which brings me to #5
5. Books! Oh yeah, gift certificates people! Awaiting eagerly in the mail: Drawing Words, Writing Pictures dw-wp.com by Matt and Jessica (Amazon.ca); Thinking About Memoir by Abigail Thomas (Amazon.ca); and Co-Active Coaching by Laura Whitworth from Indigo. Let’s just say these bad boys have led to my creative genius (or I’d like to call it that), masha’Allah and I’m super excited to have these sources of power! And Allah, of course, next to me. Ameen!
6. Milk Frother for $21, amazon.ca. After experiencing a latté and incredible generosity from colleagues at $5 a day, alhumdulillah (one of the reasons why I stay at work. To socialize. Masha’Allah). So yes, Aerolatte has the best reviews, and comes with a stand! Woo!
7. Related to this, is a tea kettle! Woo hoo! Also on sale for like twenty bucks, hello Oster! It’s pretty and chromey and I assume the shut off button works as my used one that I got from a colleague two years ago keeps boiling infinitely. I can use the cruddy one at work, and keep the chromey one at home. Woo hoo! And apparently it’s quieter too, which would help in my cooking videos. Insha’Allah. Masha’Allah.
8. I finally got a crock pot! And only $17! Wooo! Thanks to my lovely gift from my friend, I’m spending frugally, alhumdulillah, on items that I have been wanting to make this home feel like a home.
9. Speaking of which, I splurged a whole $3.20 to get this adorable Domo-Kun Toilet paper cover! I couldn’t resist…
10. Lastly, as I still haven’t been brave enough to go into cheaper and nicer jewelry stores to buy myself a ring, I opted for a $1.50 Kitties Bracelet instead. So cute! And yes, it’s for kids, but whatever! My wrists are tiny. Masha’Allah. Heck, I think my fingers are too tiny for adult size 6 rings. Sigh. Alhumdulillah.
There are now a few more days left until my staycation is over, and so far so good I think. Today I’m Wii-ing and writing an article on Etiquette to Converts for a better and more exciting magazine, insha’Allah, who has a much more supportive editor with a more realistic and similar vision of presenting convert issues in a real but kind way, alhumdulillah, insha’Allah, tabarak’Allah.
I’m encouraged, despite the doors shut, that the right ones will open, insha’Allah. Even if it’s in a room by myself, I don’t feel alone. It’s like God is with you whenever you smile and remember Him. He is there when nobody knows how you feel, and takes care of you when everyone has left you. There is something so beautiful in being close to God that nothing, and nobody can defeat you. Alhumdulillah.
People will try to break you, tease you, insult you, and berate you. But none of it matters because really, such individuals are acting out of pain, hurt, fear, and anger. We are all subject to these dark emotions, our dark side. The difference is whether or not we recognize it for what it is, and repel it with good instead. May the force be with you. Ameen.
The more I learn about how to love myself, the more I can see why doors close when they do. It’s like, I give love and can’t expect love in return but that doesn’t mean that I don’t deserve love. Kind of like meeting like-minded people who believe in the principles of generosity and kindness themselves. It’s just who you are, what you practice and where you hope to become. That level of effortless giving, reactive forgiveness, and proactive altruism. It is a peace I have found in these hills thanks to the calm of a much slower city. Even the mountains take their time to breathe. Alhumdulillah for everything.
It struck me that people will do what they want to do with their lives and all you can do is wish them well along their merry way. These ferries that pass us by, who have delighted us with their presence. Somehow, it doesn’t matter whether or not they stay in your life, because their warmth of soul and words have already permeated somehow. It’s more love than I can feel, this catch and release, and yet it fills you up more than any purchase, place, or possibility I have kept in my life. Subhana’Allah.
Nothing is forever in life. Nope, not even my top ten above. People die, places fade, and possessions give away. What really holds us is how we made each other feel. Did we save a life with a smile? Or pray for someone who never asks? Can we forget about what we want in reminding ourselves what God wants. I think this holds the key to contentment, insha’Allah. Ameen.
Song: “You’re Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go”, Miley Cyrus
P.S. Chapter 4: The Promise for White Chapters available at http://archiveofourown.org/works/341350/chapters/552694